LAA Homepage Placeholder
LAA and PFO Closure - Interventional Prevention of Cardioembolic Stroke: A Technique-Oriented Course will provide cardiologists and other healthcare providers with the latest information on the technologies, indications, and outcomes of left atrial appendage (LAA) and patent foramen ovale (PFO) closure to prevent cardioembolic stroke. Live cases will be performed by experts in the field to demonstrate firsthand basic and advanced techniques of LAA and PFO closure. Imaging for preprocedural planning and procedural guidance will be emphasized. This course is designed to provide an overview of all treatment modalities—from current clinical data to how to perform the procedure—and methods to work through any complications in order to provide better care to patients.
Social Activities Policy
Any activity, event, or meeting that is held during LAA/PFO 2018 conference that is targeted toward or includes any participants of LAA/PFO is considered an affiliated activity and must be approved by the Cardiovascular Research Foundation (CRF), the official sponsor of LAA/PFO 2018.
Organizations (commercial companies, not-for-profit groups, government agencies, etc.) that wish to hold meetings of any size or nature in any location during LAA/PFO 2018 that are targeted to LAA/PFO 2018 attendees must complete the appropriate applications for activity, be approved, and comply with the guidelines. Affiliated activity guidelines are subject to change.
- A non-refundable administrative fee of $150.00 (US) is required for each approved affiliated activity. Additional fees may apply.
- All appropriate fees must be paid in full within 30 days of the billing date. Failure to do so will result in loss of space.
- Access to LAA/PFO 2018 approved promotional opportunities and attendee list is not permitted for promotion of affiliated activities.
- One application for each meeting must be completed. Applications with more than 1 meeting listed will not be accepted and may delay the application process.
- The sponsor of the affiliated meeting is liable for any injuries or accidents to people or property while conducting ancillary functions.
- Signage for the affiliated activity is only permitted directly outside of the assigned meeting room. Directional signs, advertisements, banners, etc., are not permitted in the hotel lobby or the convention center.
- Affiliated activity decisions will be e-mailed approximately 1 week after submission.
To be approved, affiliated activities must:
- Support and be consistent with the scientific nature of LAA/PFO 2018.
- Be directed to LAA/PFO 2018 companies (affiliated activity sponsors and companies must be LAA/PFO 2018 registrants).
- Not conflict with or detract from the official LAA/PFO 2018 scientific program (see blacked out times below).
- Be approved by CRF.
Acceptable activities are:
- Scientific Advisory Board Meetings
- Scientific Investigator Meetings
- Advisory Board Meetings
- Committee Meetings
- Executive Meetings
- Specific Study (Investigator) Meetings
- Staff Meetings
In general, the following activities are not permitted during LAA/PFO 2018
- Scientific, educational, speaker-driven symposia, or lectures not sponsored by LAA/PFO 2018
- Exhibits (commercial company and noncommercial company)
- Distribution of any promotional material (e.g., fliers, room drops)
- Commercial banners
The guidelines are meant to provide guidance for affiliated activity sponsors or hosts. If you have any questions at all about whether your activity would be an affiliated activity requiring approval, contact Fernanda Swan at email@example.com.
How to Apply
Companies, organizations, or individuals that wish to host an affiliated meeting must submit the appropriate application above. All applications must be received by Friday, June 1, 2018. A non-refundable administrative fee of $150.00 (US) is required for each approved affiliated activity. Additional fees may apply.
Unofficial Hotel Meeting Room
Companies may conduct affiliated meetings at any hotel upon approval of the application. Once approval is granted, the organization must work directly with the hotel/venue to make arrangements pertaining to the proposed meeting. All costs associated with the function (e.g., room rental, food, beverage, audiovisual equipment, and labor) are the responsibility of the affiliated activity sponsor.
Meeting Blackout Times
Affiliated activities may not be held during the following times (times are subject to change):
- Friday, June 22, 2018: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Saturday, June 23, 2018: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Personnel Meetings During LAA/PFO 2018 Hours
Personnel meetings may be held at any time during LAA/PFO 2018, if attendance is limited to that organization’s representatives. Physician attendees are strictly prohibited from participating in these meetings. Violations of LAA/PFO 2018’s Affiliated Activities Rules and Guidelines will be reviewed and sanctions may be applied. Please see the Consequences for Noncompliance section for more information.
Important note: CRF requests that LAA/PFO 2018 faculty not commit to conflicting speaking engagements. LAA/PFO 2018 faculty responsibilities and obligations to the official program take precedence over all others speaking arrangements at the meeting. LAA/PFO 2018 faculty members participating in any such event are subject to having their faculty status revoked, including any reimbursement of expenses otherwise authorized.
Written notice of cancellation must be received via email or on company letterhead to Fernanda Swan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellation or reduction of meeting space will pay the following fees:
- Cancellation or reduction of meeting space within 48 hours of request, the company will be refunded 100% of paid meeting fees minus the $150 administrative fee.
- Cancellation or reduction of meeting space on or before May 19, 2018, the company will forfeit the $150 administrative fee and 50% of total meeting space fee.
- Cancellation or reduction of meeting space after May 19, 2018, the company will forfeit 100% of the total meeting space and administrative fees.
Costs and Liabilities
Any direct costs associated with the function (e.g., rental fees, food, beverage, audiovisual equipment, and labor) are the responsibility of the affiliated activity sponsor. The sponsor is also liable for any injuries or accidents to people or property while conducting ancillary functions.
Use of the LAA/PFO 2018 Logo
The LAA/PFO 2018 logo or any part of the LAA/PFO 2018 logo may not be used on any non-LAA/PFO 2018 materials, such as websites, publications, signs, fliers, etc., that did not originate from or were not developed by LAA/PFO 2018 without the express written permission of LAA/PFO 2018. In addition, no entity may imply either directly or indirectly that it is in any way affiliated with LAA/PFO 2018 without the express written permission of LAA/PFO 2018.
Approved Affiliated Activity Language
Once the affiliated activity has been approved, the language below is permissible. This “meeting name” has been approved as an affiliated activity during LAA/PFO 2018 2018. This meeting is not sponsored by, endorsed by, or supported by LAA/PFO 2018 or CRF.
Changes to Approved Affiliated Activities
Any substantive changes to an affiliated activity application must be reported to CRF. Substantive changes include date, time, location, attendees, and major agenda changes. If you are in doubt of whether a change is substantive, please contact Fernanda Swan at email@example.com.
Consequences for Noncompliance
If an affiliated activity is found to have violated the Guidelines for Affiliated Activities (above), the sponsoring organization, the supporting organization, and the organizer of the meeting may be prohibited from holding an affiliated activity at future CRF conferences, may have their current registration revoked, non-compliance may be subject to fines and damages, and could negatively impact the registration/status/attendance of those attending an unapproved affiliated activity. LAA/PFO 2018 faculty members participating in any such event are subject to having their faculty status revoked, including any reimbursement of expenses otherwise authorized.